Saturday, July 13, 2013

Texas Caviar

I haven't written on this blog in three years. I remember the day that someone said, "Who blogs? Isn't that so narcissistic?" I was waning in my posts anyhow, finding it hard to squeeze in the time to sit down at a computer. While that part of my full life hasn't changed, one change is that I'm going to choose to blog or not to blog because of my own reasons. I like to write and I also have been using Pinterest lately to store recipes. It's stream-lined things to bring my iPad into our kitchen and quickly start from there verses search for recipes in my books. I'd like to transfer some of my recipes in my recipe books onto Pinterest, but I have to have a link in order to do that. Hence, some of my posts will include food.

Texas Caviar is an easy, versatile, healthy recipe that I tried to replicate after a friend shared her's. Mine was too sweet, so she shared her recipe that I will try out soon enough! I served mine over Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free cornbread (which is amazing) and think it may go well with fried eggs, too, if you want to use it as a main course verses chip dip. 

Texas Caviar- Serves 4
Ingredients:
3 can drained and rinsed beans (mixture--black, pinto, black-eyed peas, garbanzo, etc.)
1 can corn, drained
2 red/green/yellow peppers chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
2 finely chopped jalepenos (no seeds)

Sauce:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TBL water
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Mix salad ingredients.

Bring sauce to boil, pour over mixture, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.  Drain or serve as is.   Enjoy!

No comments: